Carrie Solinger's Reviews > The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales

The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales by Jacob Grimm

Mar 04, 12

I did my librarian thing, and searched for the most lauded and complete version of the Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales. This is the version that met my needs.

The tales I remember from childhood bedtime reading where all there; and then some. Many of the tales were redundant in themes and character types. I can see why condensed versions exist. Some of the tales are just plain strange, and I am not sure if this is due to something lost in translation, or just because.

If you want to read or reread these tales from your childhood (or adulthood), I would suggest a shorter version. You are most likely to still see the most well-known tales, as well as a few others that are interesting.

If you want to read these to your children, there are a variety of good versions with lovely illustrations, and possibly tone-downed retellings. The Grimm Brothers, reportedly, were not very happy to have their collection of tales referred to as "fairy tales." That is why, some complete versions include in the title, "for the young and old." As such, it is best to read through the tale prior to sharing with your youngsters.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales.