Kalen's Reviews > Zazen

Zazen by Vanessa Veselka

Mar 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012-reads
Read from February 27 to March 04, 2012

I loved this book and all of its creativity, but typos got in my way. I'm surprised to have found as many as I did, given the public curation aspect of Red Lemonade. The plural of bus is buses, not busses (that's the plural of buss), cars have brakes and not breaks, and the activist was named Valerie Solanas, not Valerie Solanis. Maybe this sounds nitpicky, but these errors--albeit small ones--seemed so out of place in a book such as this.

The story and characters are fantastic and Veselka's writing is fresh. It will make a great book club read as there are so many points to discuss, including the main theme about how one remains an optimist in a dark and depressing world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zazen.

message 1: by Astrid (new)

Astrid Typos make me nuts! You had a lot of patience to power through them. I've abandoned many ebooks because of typos. I find them too distracting.

Kalen This wasn't nearly as bad as many eBoooks, but once I notice typos, they seem to be everywhere. This one really wasn't *that* bad, but it was surprising to me coming from this press.

message 3: by Ron (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ron I found many errors as well (extra words quite often that a good editor should have found). I did love her writing style and the tone she set, though she is quite prone to run-on sentences, dangling modifiers, and split infinitives that a good editor would also have smoothed over.

Kalen I have less issue with that in fiction, Ron--I can mark it up to style. I write in a similar way when I'm not writing business correspondence.