Maya's Reviews > The Water Mirror

The Water Mirror by Kai Meyer

Mar 04, 12

Read in February, 2012

I'm kind of torn about this book. It really has some fantastic ideas, and the imagery is fantastic. But the writing style (one that didn't bother me originally) has slowly become increasingly annoying to me.

Before I go into more detail about the cons, I'd like to say what I did like about the book first. It was an intriguing idea of an alternate universe Venice where magic exists and Egypt is to them as Rome was to our universe hundreds of years ago. There was a fantastic explanation for all of the different creatures in the story, and I gotta say, Venice, Egypt, and Magic is probably the triple threat of all books for me. Thats what really drew me in about this series. But that was the problem. All of those things were the only things keeping me going throughout this series.

(view spoiler)

I suppose I'm just too old to read this book now. Maybe if I had read it when I was 12 or 13 I may have loved it. But this theme when it comes to fantasy characters is just getting old. And sometimes this book read like imaginative mediocre fanfiction. Really, its the concept of the story and its creatures (especially the living stone lions concept) that's not making this a one star rating.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Water Mirror.