Jessica Johnson's Reviews > Because of Low

bookshelves: 2012
Read from February 27 to 29, 2012

Because of Low by Abbi Glines

Goodreads Description:

In my debut novel, Breathe, Sadie may have fallen in love with the teen rock star, Jax Stone, but readers fell head over heels for Marcus Hardy. This is his story…

Marcus Hardy had hoped to enjoy a year away at college while he put the summer he’d rather forget behind him. But instead, he’s jerked right back to the coastal town of Sea Breeze, Alabama due to a family crisis. His dear ol' dad found himself a girlfriend only a few years older than Marcus. So now his sister needs help dealing with their mother who is mentally falling apart. The only bright spot to returning is the fascinating red head who sleeps over several times a week. The problem is she's sleeping in bed with his new roommate, Cage Watson.

Willow “Low” Foster needs a place to live. Running to Cage’s apartment every time her sister kicks her out isn’t exactly a long term solution. Juggling her courses at the local community college and a part time job doesn’t produce excess income. But Cage has a new roommate and suddenly sleeping over at her best friend’s apartment isn’t such a bad thing. Not when she gets to see those sexy green eyes of Marcus Hardy’s twinkle when he smiles at her like he wants her there.
Even though Cage seems a little territorial where Low is concerned, Marcus finds time to spend with Low without upsetting his roommate. Cage may use his small college baseball star persona to sleep with every hot female in his path but he’s still under the disillusion that when he’s through sowing his wild oats, he’s going to marry Low. Marcus intends to change that assumption for both Cage and Low. Until his carefully laid plans come crashing down with a revelation he never expected. He’ll have to choose between Low or his family. Because once the truth comes out.... there’s no other choice.

Why did I pick it?

Ummm.....this is a no brainer. I read about Sadie and Jax in Breathe so I naturally had to read the next in the series. I'm so glad that it was out because I wouldn't have been able to wait too long.

I fell for Marcus in Breathe. I wanted to read his story so bad. I knew Abbi would make his story fantastical and I wasn't let down. At. All.

Soooo...what did I think?

I have to say that I loved this story more than I did Breathe. Yes, Jax Stone was the rockstar and he played guitar *swoons* but I felt that Marcus had more heart to him. More...passion....just.....MORE.

I liked him a lot in Breathe and I absolutely fell in love with him in this one. He was just so.....everything. Does that make any sense? Well, it does to me so whatever.

I loved how he took care of his sister and his mother. He loved them both to absolution. There was never a question to who came first in his life. He was adorable, admirable, lovable and completely HOT. *fans self*

*still fanning*

*blushes*....

...*clears throat*

Then enters Low. Can I say she is just cute as a button? I wanted to eat her up! She had a strength to her that only some girls dream of. Plus she has so much heart in her. It makes her so compelling to read about. I would totally be her bff. For reals.

I loved the relationship that begins with Marcus and Low and how the relationship blooms more each day. Abbi, to me, has a real way with words to the point where there is no question as to what a character feels. Some authors skirt around it sometimes but Glines makes it a point to let you know, "Hey! This is what's going on. You may not like it. But...well...that's how it's gonna go down." <---Does that even make sense? Erm..it did in my head. ;-)

Also, Abbi sure does know how to write a sexy scene.....let me tell you....whew! I get all giddy just thinking about them. If you thought that they were hot in Breathe, prepare yourself for the ones in this. Seriously.

...Now that my mind has wandered (again)....I apologize..... back to my review

I think that one of the best parts about Abbi Glines' writing is that she makes the characters....real. They have real problems, act the way a normal person would act and same with the reactions. It makes is more enjoyable and relatable.

I can't give away any spoilers but I will tell you that there is plenty of romance, sexyness, struggle, sighs, and heartbreak. I fell like my heart was torn out and stretched til it could go no further....all the while puncturing holes in it. It went through a work out I tell ya. I can go on and on about this book but really I can't because of spoilers. But I will tell you that it a fantastic read. So full of heart all the way through. I can't wait to read it again already.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I loved every character (with the exception of Low's sister) in this book. They all added an element that made this book that much better.

Favorite Quotes:

Pulling Willow into my arms I enjoyed her soft curves and sweet honey scent. Nothing in my life had ever felt as right as she did in my arms.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Because of Low.