Stephanie Griffin's Reviews > The Lies of Locke Lamora

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

Mar 03, 2012

bookshelves: favorites
Recommended for: fantasy fans.
Read from March 03 to April 03, 2012

FABULOUS! That’s how I would describe Scott Lynch’s fantasy THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA. Locke Lamora is a trained thief, apprenticed along with a handful of other boys by the Eyeless Priest of the Temple of Perelandro, to pilfer from the rich.
Do you love a good fantasy read? Look no further than this destined-to-be-a-classic tale. With assassins, birds, disguises, espionage, friendship, gangs, goats, hats, horses, matchmaking, merchants, monasteries, orphans, pirates, poison, pubs, revenge, secret societies, sorcerers, spiders, thieves, tunnels, twins, and wealth, the fun never ends!
Unbeknownst to Locke as he prepares and initiates an elaborate scheme to rob a local merchant, others are plotting against him and his troupe of Gentlemen Bastards. Is it Capa Barsavi, the man who lords over the thieves of Camorr, his daughter or one of his sons, or the Gray King? Could it be someone else? Who is playing whom?
Lynch uses the full range of emotions from humor to anguish in getting us acquainted with his characters. Not only are we treated to amazing duel descriptions, but we can feel their thoughts as they battle.
I have very little to quibble over in this book, other than to say one small scene seemed out of place in its style. The strength of the book lies in the world building, the characters, and the fight scenes. Lynch shows a mastery of story line.
I love THE LIES OF LOCKE LAMORA and look forward to reading the second book in the series.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lies of Locke Lamora.

03/05/2012 page 140