Brian's Reviews > The Venom of Vipers

The Venom of Vipers by K.C. May

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: sci-fi
Read on March 03, 2012

Venom of Vipers read like a mediocre episode of a television show or "made for TV" movie that could have aired on the Sci-Fi channel. The requisite elements were present and there were some potentially interesting ideas and a few decent characters to work with, but in the end the author failed to elevate the story to even "somewhat enjoyable". I don't know if this author's style just didn't sit well with me or perhaps I just wasn't in the mood for her story, but quite frankly I kept feeling like I was reading so-so fan-fiction, and not particularly creative fan-fiction at that.

The story basically revolves around 3 characters Nelson, Ryder and Katie...... none of which are fleshed out enough to really even understand at all beyond what you expect them to be given the narrative. Ryder comes the closest to being a character you can finally sort of climb into his head space, but the events and story are so implausible and/or nonsensical as to undercut any disposition you might have to suspend disbelief and connect with him.

Quite frankly, while there were a few somewhat interesting, redeeming passages in the book that kept if from being 1 star material, I really didn't find much in this book to enjoy and would recommend that if you enjoy quality Sci-Fi, avoid it. While it's very short and wouldn't take more than a few readings to get through, it's not worth your time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Venom of Vipers.