Ben Babcock's Reviews > Temple of the Winds

it was ok
bookshelves: borrowed, fantasy, 2008-read
Recommended to Ben by: Stephanie Chow
Read in August, 2008

The only part of this book that truly aggravated me was the end. Once again (and I can say this without spoiling it, because I won't reveal any details), Richard manages to avoid the consequences of the tragedy introduced during the rising action. Maybe I'm just sick. Maybe it's wrong of me to want characters to suffer. But this guy's luck is incredible.

The redeeming aspect of the end is that there are sort of consequences (the chimes), but they won't make an appearance until the next book. I guess that's okay. But this reveals Goodkind's heavyhanded writing style that mars the previous books.

I must say that from a philosophical standpoint, the books are actually getting easier to stomach, not worse. Almost everything I read about them told me to expect the opposite. Instead, the amount of exposition is now tolerable. Maybe it's because Richard's character has evolved to the point that the philosophical arguments Goodkind is trying to espouse actually make sense from Richard's perspective. He has the whole "burdened hero" motif. Or perhaps I'm just too naive (or maybe too jaded) to actually pay attention enough to pick out the philosophy Goodkind is apparently attempting to impress upon his readers.

Compared to the last book, however, this book is rather slow. It reminds me of The Stone of Tears, although I'll admit that this one has more action in it.

Goodkind struggles with portraying all of his characters and putting them in interesting situations. Some authors pull this off well (i.e., George R.R. Martin). Others, like Goodkind, are very good at creating a lot of characters and giving them important roles in certain parts of the story, but then later they fade into the background. This is also noticeable in the next book when it comes to Verna and Warren. This is a shame, because many of those characters are interesting. Some of them get less page time than the villains. The books are already rather long, but maybe a different editing approach would have allowed our favourite recurring characters some more time to shine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Temple of the Winds.

Megan I think your wrong on one of your point, or well I disagree with it. The other points made I do agree with. I think Richard suffers a large amount, knowing that the woman he love thinks it's is brother, worry about the children who are dying more so his ppl, his role hads a leader, and the fact that he is expected to know everything about his magic and magic in gerenal. He does get lucky, but really the way he's looking at things they just work, thinking it out. I think it's a great way to have a hero, he works and feels the whole time.

Marielle Savoie I only have one thing to say, if you so dislike this series, then why do you continue to read it?

message 3: by Ben (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ben Babcock Marielle wrote: "I only have one thing to say, if you so dislike this series, then why do you continue to read it?"

I love reading bad books. There's something intrinsically satisfying about deconstructing not only what doesn't work about a book but why it doesn't work. That being said, it's true that I don't ordinarily continue reading a series if I dislike it.

In this particular case, I read the entire series because my coworker lent each one to me in succession during the summer. She quite enjoyed them, so it was a good subject of conversation while dusting the gift shop.