Keri Payton's Reviews > Stormbreaker

Stormbreaker by Anthony Horowitz

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: spies, young-adult, audio-books
Read in December, 2011

Alex Rider's uncle is killed in a collision...but the circumstances don't add up. Ian Rider may have only been a banker but he wouldn't forget to wear a seat belt.

When Alex sees a man with a gun at his uncle's funeral and suspicious men around his house, he does his own research into Ian's death.

To his discovery, Ian Rider was no banker. He was a spy on an undercover mission. One that Alex must now complete.

Can Alex figure out the mystery of the Stormbreaker or is he destined to end his days as Double O Nothing?

I knew of the Alex Rider series because I had been aware that there had been a film adaptation of Stormbreaker and I had seen subsequent books in the series in stores but I had never been compelled to pick one up. The sole reason I purchased this audio book is because it was narrated by Nathaniel Parker, who narrates the Artemis Fowl series. If it's unabridged and read by Parker, I'll snatch it up.

There are so many books that I come across which revolve around a relationship or emotional drama. Stormbreaker is driven by an ever-moving chain of events and the high stakes Alex faces.

Alex Rider is a talented and quick-thinking individual. Thrust into high-risk situations, there are plenty of times when he could give up but he is strong and determined. Things are never easy for Alex and he faces obstacles to which others would easily succumb.

I assume that the prime minister who is mentioned in the novel is purely fictitious but that didn't keep me from imagining that he would be the prime minister from the time when Stormbreaker was set/published. The prime minister is never named, which is clever as it makes him more of a figure than a name. Since there has been all male prime ministers in the UK with one exception* it made his role in the story appropriately vague.

I was disappointed to discover that Parker only narrates the first novel in the series but I'd be interested to see Alex learn even more about his uncle's past in the series in and see more development and dynamics between him and other characters.

*The muggle prime minister in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is 100% fictitious because he was in office in 1981 when the UK had its only female prime minister, Margaret Thatcher.

(From my blog: Quill Café)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stormbreaker.