Kelly's Reviews > Heart of Darkness

251943
Apr 07, 12

bookshelves: physical-books, paranormal-romance, read-in-2012
Read from March 31 to April 07, 2012

I have a tendency to love Lauren Dane's characters. She makes them so vibrant and alive that it's easy to fall into their lives and experience all the things they're experiencing. Dominic fell into this category almost immediately. I adored him. I loved how strong he was and how he was willing to take chances on the things that mattered to him. Meriel, on the other hand, was a little harder for me to get a handle on. With all the responsibilities she's preparing to take on, she's a little colder and more aloof than Dom. Yet, as her story unfolded, she began to show more and more layers. Her relationship with her mother was a slowly unfurling flower. The more we saw of them together, the more levels were uncovered. It was one of the things that both took me by surprise and delighted me to no end.

I also love insta-attraction between two people. Or three people. I'm not picky. I love when characters look at one another and just click. And when they get all growly and possessive (even when they're not werewolves or any other type of shifter)... *swoon*. Dom and Meriel had that. They had the instant attraction. They had the driving urge to get into each others pants. Their powers complimented one another and it was explosive and sexy. Being more versed in what was happening to them, Meriel was able to give Dom the time to understand why he was feeling this way and what it would mean for their future. I admire a girl who can call a halt to a hot and heavy make-out session so that the guy won't have regrets down the line. I also admire someone who is willing to make necessary changes - despite tradition and people being set in their ways - to make things better for her people as a whole.

The world Lauren Dane has created here is big and bold. There are a lot of different players and while it can make things a bit confusing at times it also made it feel like there could be a lot of different stories told. I'm already looking forward to book 2.

-Kelly @ Reading the Paranormal

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Darkness.