Angelique Jurd's Reviews > Willow Pond

Willow Pond by Carol Tibaldi

Mar 03, 12

Read in February, 2012

In Carol Tibaldi's debut novel, Willow Pond, we follow Laura as she desperately searches for her kidnapped son. Set in the midst of the prohibition era of the mid thirties, Laura is the ex-wife of a movie star and niece of a woman bootlegger/mob boss. It's an interesting set up that certainly grabs your attention.

Tibaldi skillfully leads you through the strong intrigue with sympathetic characters and an engaging look at a time gone by.

I do feel, and this is not a criticism in any way of Tibaldi's talent, the book could use a little editorial tightening. At times I found the story was getting bogged down in little details that added nothing to my enjoyment or understanding of either the plot or the characters. While this 'issue' (and I recognize the issue may only be mine - as an editor by day so I perhaps look at things with a different eye)was a little distracting, it wasn't so intrusive that I gave up on the book.

I suspect we are going to hear a lot more from Tibaldi in the not so distant future and if this is how she starts out, it will only get better and stronger going forward.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Willow Pond.