Dave's Reviews > Blindness

1019826
Mar 26, 12

bookshelves: book-club-selection, dystopia-post-apocolypic
Read from March 03 to 06, 2012

This was interesting, but as entertainment it was only OK. Things get really bleak towards the midpoint, and I almost bailed. But that part passes. I won't spoil it, but readers will know what I'm taking about.

Overall I disagree that levels of selfishness shown in this novel. Over the past few centuries, humanity has been giving value to a greater sphere of human life. It used to be that only your tribe or family mattered, and now it would appear that most of the world values all human life. This book seems to make an assumption that when pressured, humanity would roll back. However, I believe that when pressured, humanity will respond better and with regard to other human life.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blindness.

03/03/2012 page 150
46.0% "Take a sample of humanity, make them blind, and lock them in a building with only food coming in to help them. Bad things are probably going to happen, and they do in great detail. I can't understand why this is getting four stars. If people aren't aware that humanity is capable of terrible brutality, then they only need to read some history. I only keep reading because it is a book club suggestion."