Jessica's Reviews > Insurgent

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Mar 03, 2012

bookshelves: 2012-reading-challenge, on-my-shelf, dystopian, favorites, on-my-nook, review, love-story, series, trilogy, young-adult, thriller
Read from May 01 to 03, 2012

See more of my reviews on my blog Thoughts At One In The Morning.

My Thoughts:

I was lucky to read Divergent a couple months before Insurgent came out. Why does that make me lucky? I didn’t have to wait too long. I have to wait much longer NOW, but that’s all part of falling in love with a series while the author is still writing it.

The story picks up right where it left off at the end of the first book, on the train. Tris is struggling with the aftermath of the losses in her life, and her role in them. At Amity, they try to find refuge and help, and come up dry. On the move to Candor, and things don’t seem to be looking up there either. The factions stay separate, except for the group of Dauntless that sided with Erudite. So the good group of Dauntless take over Dauntless headquarters again. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean the end. The Erudite find a way to make this choice have repercussions.

Throughout the story, Tris jumps from being fragile and vulnerable to sometimes smart and daring. At times I wanted to smack her around and tell her, “Get over yourself!” Then I remind myself that she’s only human. She just lost both of her parents in one night, and killed one of her close friends. She did, however, make up for it with her selflessness and the ability to use her intelligence to her advantage. She made some risky moves, very risky. When it came down to it and Tris had to own up to what happened to Will, Christina was upset. It took some time, understanding the circumstances, but when she came around and forgave Tris, I appreciated this, especially the fact that it didn’t happen immediately.

I thought when Tris made the choice to surrender herself it was a poor one, but in the end, I loved the outcome. That moment when she breaks Jeanine, oh my god, I was literally beaming with pride. And then, the escape, aided by the most unlikely person, Peter. That blew me away. Brilliant.

Now let me tell you about Four. Our dear Tobias. He is tremendous. His feelings are so deep, you want to cry over how much he cares. His devotion to Tris is unparalleled. All men should look to him and tap into that wonderful mind. I love this man. I want to marry him. I really do. He’s just flipping awesome. The whole package.

Insurgent was unequivocally a masterpiece of epic proportions. Veronica Roth kept the story going in the best way possible. Every time all hope is lost you’re surprised by something unexpected that opens the way to moving on. By the time you reach the end, you’re just floored and amazed. Next year cannot come soon enough.

My Rating:

Exceptional: Stay up until at least 1 AM

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.

Quotes Jessica Liked

Veronica Roth
“No matter how long you train someone to be brave, you never know if they are or not until something real happens.”

Veronica Roth
“I point at a window to my left, and it explodes. Particles of glass rain over us. ‘You’ll have to do better than that,' I say.”

Veronica Roth
“Sleep,” he says. “I'll fight the bad dreams off if they come to get you.” “With what?” “My bare hands, obviously.”

“Be careful, though."
"Aren't I always?"
"No, I think the word for how you usually are is 'reckless.”

Veronica Roth
“I’ll be your family now,” he says.
“I love you,” I say.
I said that once, before I went to Erudite headquarters, but he was asleep then. I don’t know why I didn’t say it when he could hear it. Maybe I was afraid to trust him with something so personal as my devotion. Or afraid that I did not know what it was to love someone. But now I think the scary thing was not saying it before it was almost too late. Not saying it before it was almost too late for me.
I am his, and he is mine, and it has been that way all along.
He stares at me. I wait with my hands clutching his arms for stability as he considers his response.
He frowns at me. “Say it again.”
“Tobias,” I say, “I love you.”
His skin is slippery with water and he smells like sweat and my shirt sticks to his arms when he slides them around me. He presses his face to my neck and kisses me right above the collarbone, kisses my cheek, kisses my lips.
“I love you, too,” he says.”

Veronica Roth
“Killing you is not the worst thing they can do to you," I say. "Controlling you is.”

Veronica Roth
“He sits next to me and puts his arm on the back of my chair, leaning close. I don't stare back -- I refuse to stare back.
I stare back.”

Veronica Roth
“I should probably be afraid. But instead a hysterical laugh bubbles inside me, because I just remembered something:

Maybe I can’t hold a gun. But I have a knife in my back pocket.”

Veronica Roth
“I laugh, mirthless, a mad laugh. I savor the scowl on her face, the hate in her eyes. She was like a machine; she was cold and emotionless, bound by logic alone. And I broke her.”

Veronica Roth
“I do know who you are. I just needed to be reminded.”

Veronica Roth
“Tris," Tobias says, crouching next to me. His face is pale, almost yellow.
There is too much I want to say. The first thing that comes out is, "Beatrice."
He laughs weakly.
"Beatrice," he amends, and touches his lips to mine. I curl my fingers into his shirt.”

Veronica Roth
“I think he came to die with me," I say. I clamp my hand over my mouth to stifle a sob. If I can keep breathing, I can stop crying. I didn't need or want him to die with me. I wanted to keep him safe. What an idiot, I think, but my heart isn't in it.
"That's ridiculous," he says. "That doesn't make any sense. He's eighteen; he'll find another girlfriend once you're dead. And he's stupid if he doesn't know that."
Tears run down my cheeks, hot at first and then cold. I close my eyes. "If you think that's what it's about..." I swallow another sob. "...you're the stupid one.”