Jason's Reviews > The Grove

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, e-books
Read on March 03, 2012

4 Stars

Wow, I guess 2012 is the year for me to embrace the novella, the short story. This quick read by John Rector was the perfect afternoon getaway. A tale of a man, Dexter, who has suffered his entire life with mental illness and instability. He is a broken man with a broken marriage, who has done some very bad things in his life, and gone through even worse. As a young man, he was a high school baseball star with a touch of insanity and an overblown sense of self. He makes some bad decisions and does even worse things, all in the name of friendship and caring.

This book starts out with the reader knowing very little about Dexter and the tragedy at hand. Rector does an awesome job at painting in the details of Dexter's past and his current situation, all the while our present story is unfolding and the situation grows more dire. This is a macabre tale of a demented man's decent into madness. This book reminded me so much of one of my favorite authors works, Caitlin Kiernan.

I really enjoyed the writing and prose of Rector's and will eagerly seek out more from him:

"It happened again..
 It wasn't possible.
The girl hadn't been out there for very long, that was obvious, but that didn't mean she'd been out there last night. It didn't mean that I'd seen her and confronted her, or that I'd -
No, it wasn't possible.
I closed my eyes and tried to bring back anything from the night before. All I had a was confusing haze of images and words, then nothing until I woke up that morning covered in mud.
It happened again."

A great fast and creepy read that will leave you wanting more. I highly recommend it!
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Grove.