Shellie Cruz's Reviews > Monument 14

Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012-releases, arc
Read from May 16 to June 03, 2012

Monument 14 starts out action packed and gets your heart racing with what is happening to the characters. It is told from a males perspective which I really enjoyed seeing most of everything I’ve read lately has been from a females point of view. Dean, our main character, starts his day off like any other and then it all goes downhill from there, and quickly! Hail storms, earthquakes, bus crashes, death and driving through a store, is what we are met with. I really enjoyed the first couple chapters but after that, it’s as if they settled into the superstore and goofed off pretty much until the ending.

Among himself he is trapped in the superstore with thirteen other kids, one of them being his little brother, Alex. They try to make do with what they have – and that’s a whole lot seeing they are in a superstore. I really didn’t feel connected to any of the characters and to me it didn’t seem that they were under that much stress seeing what they were going through. I will say this…I wanted to slap Dean, a lot! I wish he had more of a backbone then he did but maybe that’s just me.

Now, it may seem that I disliked this book and that’s not the case, I did enjoy it but didn’t fall head-over-hills for it either. I loved what Emmy created when she set certain reactions based off your blood type, honestly it made me wonder if this were to really happen…what the hell is my blood type? There are definitely some scenes to get your blood pumping. The ending left me wanting more so I’ll definitely check out the next installment when it’s released. Besides me not really connecting with the characters I still did find this entertaining and everyone has different opinions, you may be one that loves it so check it out if you get the chance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monument 14.

05/16/2012 page 63
21.0% "hmmm"
05/24/2012 page 294
100.0% "If it ends like this...I might just....hell I cant throw the Nook so i suppose I'll have to hit the home button rather hard twice to get to the home screen...hmph. (and yep, it totally ended like that)"