Elaina's Reviews > Boy Meets Boy

Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

Apr 18, 12

bookshelves: boys, fiction, glbt, music, romance, young-adult
Read from March 22 to 30, 2012

I found this book to read pretty beautifully, even though it didn't feel realistic. I think that was the point though.

The language was quite captivating at times, however. My favorite quote was:

“Do you know when you cross against traffic? You look down the street and see a car coming, but you know you can get across before it gets to you. So even though there’s a DON’T WALK sign, you cross anyway. And there’s always a split second when you turn and see that car coming, and you know that if you don’t continue moving, it will all be over. That’s how I feel a lot of the time. I know I’ll make it across. I always make it across. But the car is always there, and I always stop to watch it coming.”

Overall, I wish people were more accepting in real life like they are in this story--but then again, maybe the author wanted to create a place where the acceptance was real. Maybe he wanted to get past all of these glbt acceptance and coming out issues, and give people a good story. I am going to re-read this book, because I really think it deserves more stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Boy Meets Boy.

Quotes Elaina Liked

David Levithan
“We switch to another language-- not our invented language or the language we've learned from our lives. As we walk further up the mountain, we speak the language of silence. This language gives us time to think and move. We can be here and elsewhere at the same time.”

David Levithan
“I wonder if it's possible to have happiness without it being at someone else's expense.”

David Levithan
“We pencil-sketch our previous life so we can contrast it to the technicolor of the moment. ”