Lauren's Reviews > America Is in the Heart: A Personal History

3819109
Mar 21, 12

bookshelves: exam-1
Read from March 03 to 15, 2012

In many ways, an excellent book and a view/experience of America that is a necessary read. In other ways, Bulosan's book irritated me... his narration style seems to filter particular details and exclude the rest (which is true, to some extent, with any narrative)--but he doesn't seem to remain consistent with regard to the kinds/types of events that are worthy of more or less information. To me it read as a combination of a (slightly) filtered stream-of-consciousness, autobiography, social critique and advocacy, and bildungsroman... but with a wide range of variation from event to event with regard to relevancy, purpose, or even completion (sometimes he starts relating an event and then seems to wander off topic and never returns to explain what happened or what he did). And while I can respect all of this as an aesthetic choice, it doesn't appeal to me. As for the other things that bothered me, I'll just leave it under the heading of "roles and representations of (mostly) nameless (or name-deferred) women."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read America Is in the Heart.