AH's Reviews > Devil Said Bang

Devil Said Bang by Richard Kadrey

Aug 27, 12

bookshelves: arc-edelweiss, angels, dark, demons, ghosts, nephilim, zzread-august-2012, urban-fantasy, babr-reviews
Read from August 04 to 19, 2012

“Welcome to Hell. It’s just like high school but with more boredom and entrails.”
I must confess, I have not read all the books in this series. I’ve read Sandman Slim and enjoyed it immensely, but I missed books 2 and 3. Having said that, I honestly feel that I really didn’t feel lost when I read Devil Said Bang. The author did an excellent job of recapping prior events. I will go back and read Kill the Dead and Aloha from Hell soon, just to fill in the details.

I loved Devil Said Bang and here’s why:

The World – This is a dark urban fantasy, set in Convergence L.A. where Hell is a mirror image of present day Los Angeles. The real Lucifer has left Downtown (Hell) and guess who is now Lucifer – yup, James Stark aka Sandman Slim. Of course, EVERYONE wants to kill him.

Which brings us to The Politics – In a way, the politics of Hell mirror our present day politics only much more lethal. There is some diabolical scheming going on in Hell and many characters want to be the number one guy. Lucifer doesn’t really have patience for the political machinations and he rapidly learns what pisses the Hellions off.
“I can’t believe I’m learning how politics and court intrigue work. I feel a little dirty. I miss punching people. “
I loved the eccentric characters and beings in this series. Stark (Lucifer) exudes attitude and snark. He has a wry sense of humor. Stark has a commanding presence and he is street smart. Stark’s relative Wild Bill is a hoot, demon marked and forced to run a saloon in convergence L.A. There’s Candy – think land shark meets a vampire – and you have Candy, a Jade. Candy is Stark’s love interest but she swings both ways. I found Kasabian intriguing. Poor guy lost his body and was just a talking head, literally. Now he is attached to a mechanical steampunkish Hellhound. Slimy and scheming, Kasabian makes for a perfect foil for Stark.
“I get Rin Tin Tin’s gnawed off bones and you get to look like Robocop – story of my life.”
There are some pretty interesting gadgets in this book. Lucifer (Stark) gets access to a special armor that makes him impossible to kill, though that doesn’t stop people from trying. He also has the Magic 8 Ball, a fascinating weapon that always returns to him. The hellhounds are truly grotesque – part animal, part steampunk contraption, and always faithful to Stark. Truly horrifying.

The plot was action packed and full of twists and turns. The book was difficult to put down, despite the fact that it lacked chapter breaks. Plan your bio breaks accordingly!

The Sandman Slim series would appeal to lovers of dark urban fantasy. I’m looking forward to the next book in the series.

Thank you to Edelweiss and the publisher for a review copy of this book.

Review posted on Badass Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil Said Bang.

08/10/2012 page 50
13.0% "What a badass!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina Do you have this in an egalley?

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Yup, from Edelweiss.

message 3: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina Is this for the bingo angel shelf?

message 4: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina Sorry that doesn't make sense, you just posted you were reading a DTB for the shelf. Sorry.

message 5: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina It is on the angels shelf! Do I need to read the first 3?

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Regina wrote: "Is this for the bingo angel shelf?"

I was kicking myself for starting it earlier this week. That angel shelf was brutal.

message 7: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Regina wrote: "Sorry that doesn't make sense, you just posted you were reading a DTB for the shelf. Sorry."

No, it's the ebook. I just use the version that pops up. I rarely change them to their "correct" version because the ebooks don't have page numbers in GR most of the time.

message 8: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Regina wrote: "It is on the angels shelf! Do I need to read the first 3?"

I read the first book - skipped the middle 2 and am reading this. I didn't feel like I missed much. If you haven't read the first book, you may miss out on who the characters are - like James Stark is Sandman Slim who becomes Lucifer - I am still not sure how to refer to him. Then again, I find his writing to be pretty tight and self explanatory without being repetitive. It's a very dark urban fantasy set in Convergence LA, LA in hell full of double crossing Hellions. Quite fun.

message 9: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina I was inarticulate last night, sorry. I meant in the Bingo discussion thread you said you found a DTB book that met the angel shelf (I thought). I never match (or rarely do) the GR book to what I am reading. Glad to know I can skip ahead, as I have #4. I like how you describe this series, I cannot wait to start it.

message 10: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Oh, yes. I have a DTB that I am bringing on vacation.

Katie So, jealous...

message 12: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Katie, I think you will enjoy it. It's really good and Stark has a lot of people after him. I'm almost finished. Didn't get as much reading done as I had planned on my vacation.

message 13: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina Welcome back!

message 14: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Thanks! Only about 100 more emails to go.

Katie AH, I will be all over it when it comes out next month!

message 16: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH The only thing I disliked about this book - and maybe because it was a review copy - was that there were no chapter breaks. None. Nada. I hope that the finished copy has them.

message 17: by Regina (new) - added it

Regina Oh, that is an odd thing.

Katie It is very strange, but I think all of the books have been like that...I don't know that I got used to it by the end of the book either. Just a quirky thing like trying to read conversation with dashes...

message 19: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH I never noticed it with the other books.

message 20: by Bastard (new)

Bastard If I recall correctly, the Sandman Slim novels don't have chapter breaks.

message 21: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Bastard wrote: "If I recall correctly, the Sandman Slim novels don't have chapter breaks."

OK, I didn't remember. Good to know.

message 22: by Bastard (new)

Bastard AH wrote: "Bastard wrote: "If I recall correctly, the Sandman Slim novels don't have chapter breaks."

OK, I didn't remember. Good to know."

I've only read the first two, just ordered the next ones so will confirm with you when they get here :)