Lori's Reviews > The Diary of Adam and Eve

The Diary of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain

Dec 02, 09

bookshelves: fiction

Bought this at the used book store today, and read in the car between grabbing lunch and christmas shopping.

I haven't read Twain since middle school; I have a hazy recollection of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer getting into mischief. I was not sure what to expect, but what I expected was far inferior to what I read.

Twain breathes life into Adam and Eve in a way that I've known only one other author to do (David Maine - in his biblical fiction novels).

Beginning the day after her creation, we follow the diaries of Eve and of Adam. Filled with confusion, curiosity, and a wickedly innocent need to discover and explore, Eve is introduced as the brighter, more aggressive half. She has the ability to talk to and tame the wild animals, and gives names to everything in sight. In contrast, we see Adam, lounging in the tree branches, hiding from the talkative Eve, creating shelter from the weather as she frollicks among the flowers.

Of course, we follow their stories to the Tree of Knowledge, watch as their Garden becomes a savage, unsafe land, and share in their separate reactions to the birth of their first child, Cain.

While Twain's idea of modern woman came across in this collection of diary entries - she being known to annoy Adam with her endless chatter, falling into the pond after staring at her own reflection, being sensitive to Adam's moods and wanting to do things to please him - it was done in a tastefully, harmlessly, almost humorously.

I will certainly be adding more Twain to my to-be-read shelves now.

5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Adam and Eve.

Stacie I am glad to hear you liked it so well, Lori. I picked this up last time I was at my mom's house and have yet to read it. I will now be picking it up sooner rather than later. In fact, it is going on my "on deck" pile right now.

Lori It is such a quick read that you really cant go wrong. And the style is just so inviting...

message 3: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I adored this! Adam's perplexity while dealing with this new creature God has put with him still is fresh in my mind despite having read it more then 25 years ago.

message 4: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen Yay! I'm so glad you liked it. I have yet to read it but am looking forward to it.

message 5: by Rauf (new)

Rauf raspberries. the ebook is nonexistent...will keep looking but not hopeful.