Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > A Gentleman Says "I Do"

A Gentleman Says "I Do" by Amelia Grey

May 07, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, netgalley, reading-romances-challenge-2012, review-on-blog, romance
Read from April 30 to May 03, 2012

* This review was first published at Book Savvy Babe blog*

3.5 of 5 Stars

A Gentleman Says "I Do" is a charming romance read about a stubborn, protective rake who meets his match in a determined, capable woman.

I enjoyed this story, Iverson is overall a hot-headed person. He gets upset, and he acts, thinking about consequences later. When an article appears highlighting his family in a less-than-flattering manner, he is very upset and determined to make the author see the error of his ways. The author is Catalina's father, but he is away from home, and no one knows where he is. From the moment he meets Catalina, Iverson is drawn to her, attracted to the woman who is protective of her father, her aunt, and even her servants. After Iverson explains his situation, Catalina feels for him and wants to get the article back, but without her father around, there is not much she can do. She needs her father to come home to take care of the article and to help sort out their fragile finances. Meanwhile, Iverson keeps coming around, pretending to court her as an excuse to keep an eye out for her father. After awhile, the pretend courtship starts to feel more real.

I really loved Catalina's character. She is a beautiful woman with a good head on her shoulders. Her father is never around, so she shoulders pretty much all responsibility for running the household and taking care of her aunt. She is practical, level-headed and caring. She always manages to keep her cool, even when Iverson is upset. Iverson, as I've said, he is a hot-head. In his anger about the article and Catalina's father, he says things that he later regrets. His abrupt nature gets the better of him. However, he is a good counter to Catalina's reserve. The pair make a wonderful couple, and their story was fun to read.

While I enjoyed the story, the plot is not very complicated. Catalina and Iverson are waiting for Catalina's father, and they have some adventures and experiences while waiting for him to show up. So, the story is more on the simple side, but it is an enjoyable read and the time flew by while I was reading this book.

A Gentleman Says "I Do" is book 5 in the series. However, I have not read the previous books in the series, and I had absolutely no trouble reading this book. It can definitely be read as a stand alone. There are references to some other characters stories, but those references only piqued my interest. I am curious about previous stories, and I will likely read more books from this series in the future.

With colorful characters and a charming romance A Gentleman Says "I Do" is a delightful story and I recommend it to historical romance readers.

*I received this book for review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Gentleman Says "I Do".