Heather Book Savvy Babe's Reviews > Kiss of the Goblin Prince

Kiss of the Goblin Prince by Shona Husk

May 15, 12

bookshelves: netgalley, paranormal-romance, review-on-blog, witches-magic
Read in May, 2012

The Shadowlands series by Shona Husk is a whole new brand of paranormal romance. Gone are the traditional paranormal characters of vampires and werewolves. Instead, Shona Husk brings in a seemingly obscure being, Goblins. I have only been familiar with goblins from fairy lore, so when I heard about books centered around these traditionally ugly beings, my interest was piqued. The Shadowlands series created by Shona Husk is detailed and intriguing and the heroes are spellbinding.

The first book in the series sets the scene for Kiss of the Goblin Prince. A group of men (brothers and cosigns) had be spelled/cursed to live as half-Goblins for close to 2000 years. They were trapped to live in the Shadowlands, a dark land full of magic and greedy goblins who would do anything for gold. Everytime the brothers used magic, they were closer to succumbing to the Goblin call and loosing their humanity for good. In the first book, the Goblin King (the oldest brother) breaks the spell by falling in love. This is where the story picks up in Kiss of the Goblin Prince. The oldest brother is happily married and readjusting to life as a human, but Dai is adrift, he may no longer be a goblin, but the knowledge he has gained over his 2000 years has taught him new, magical ways to look at the world.

I really liked this installment in the series. Now that I understood the background of the brothers, I was interested to see how Dai would cope with his life changing so drastically. He was surprising as well, his magical abilities are intriguing and really keep the paranormal alive in the books. He is cured of the Goblin curse, but he has to let the past go, and right some wrongs of the past as well. His relationship with Amanda is really sweet. Both of them are lonely people who have to let the past go and start living for the future. I was also happy to see how well Dai adjusted to spending time with Amanda as well as her daughter. I liked Amanda more than I liked Eliza (from the first book). She had a difficult time accepting the truth of the paranormal, but she didn't wig out as much as Eliza did, and she came around pretty quick.

Paranormal fans, I recommend reading this series. I found book 1 a little slow, there was a lot of world building and the heroine was not my favorite, but with Kiss of the Goblin Prince the series has a whole new feel, and I am intrigued. I do recommend reading book 1, there is a lot of backstory and complexity to the world building and the curse placed on the brothers plays an integral role in the series. I will be reading the third book in the series once it is released. For those of you who love paranormal books, but are looking for something a little different, the Shadowlands series is a good one to try.

I received this book for review*
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Kiss of the Goblin Prince.