VampireNovelFan's Reviews > By a Thread

By a Thread by Jennifer Estep

Mar 18, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, vampires, paranormal-romance, abandoned-series
Read from March 13 to 15, 2012

Ain’t no rest for the wicked - more like a 3.5

It seems as if Gin Blanco can't catch a break no matter how hard she tries. As Jennifer Estep's prior novel, Spider's Revenge, and short story, Thread of Death, wrapped up the first major arc of this series, this book was more of a cool down with Gin taking a vacation with her sister, Bria, in an attempt to bond and heal after all they've been through.

The location of choice for this vacation is Bria's old hometown, a swanky beach town where all looks fun on the surface. But we soon learn this isn't the case with a big bad vampire running the show and flexing some muscle; he threatens and terrorizes one of Bria's childhood friends and that doesn't sit well with Gin. The moral of this story is that you can take the Spider out of Ashland, but you can't take the Spider out of Gin. She works to help Bria's friend by any means necessary, much to Bria and...Donovan Caine's chagrin. The only question is if the Spider can win on someone else's turf.

As I've mentioned in previous reviews, as I started progressing with this series, the amount of summarizing and rehashing grew fairly tiresome for me and distracted me from enjoying the novel as a whole at times. Don't get me wrong, I still managed to do it, but it affected the overall quality for me. This time around I think Estep got the memo because it was kept to a minimum. I was actually surprised that we didn't get a summary of the Thread of Death short, but I'm not complaining.

While the rehashing is down, I still found a new set of problems with this book. Number one: Donovan Caine. It's been several books and for the life of me I still don't understand why he's worth any kind of page space anymore. A huge "thread" of the plot was about Gin finally getting over her two romps in the hay with him that oh-so-emotionally tormented her because he was everything she wanted and she couldn't be what he needed and blah blah blah. Good riddance then and good riddance now to that storyline.

Another area that irked me was that the whole reason for her to be on vacation was to take her out of her element. I was really hoping to see her adapt more. ***slight spoiler***I was not a fan of the whole crew eventually finding their way to the beach town, pretty much bringing Ashland to Gin.***end spoiler*** Either send her back home or switch up her options; how it turned out didn't really work for me.

The romance aspect of this series has never done anything for me, and at this point I doubt it will. Bria and Finn annoy me. Their interactions feel so totally high school-like and instead of giving me the warm fuzzies, it makes me roll my eyes. I'm not the craziest about beach sex scenes either. It's totally unrealistic and this may be TMI, but I am not sure how hott or romantic it is to have sand up in your junk, but maybe that's just me.

I also kind of wished Gin would stop talking about how unlucky she was while during every fight a lot of things happen out of sheer luck to give her the upper hand. The action is really THE main reason I crack open these books and find them to be easy reads.

Overall the action was still up to the usual standards, but it's sort of feeling like the same old same old since Gin didn't evolve much. The villains are usually very well done and this one was no exception. I felt like he was developed well and he was really the best part of the book for me. He was definitely one you loved to hate.

This read was mainly about dealing with Gin's personal life emotionally, settling issues with Donovan Caine and Bria. This is really amped up in the last 10% which felt really drawn out to me after a while. It's sort of hard to wonder what's next for Gin and if it will be as interesting or engaging as her arc with Mab. The preview for the next book looks like it will begin to focus a more on a new character that we met in the Thread of Death short story, but this is only my guess based on a couple of subtleties. Book 7, Widow's Web, is due out later this year. It will determine if this series has jumped the shark for me and if I should hang it up for good.

*Review also posted to Amazon

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By a Thread.

03/13/2012
03/15/2012
57.0% "I don't know why I'm just not really into it much this time. It's taking me longer than usual to finish it. It's definitely toned down on the rehashing at least." 8 comments
03/15/2012
89.0% "Why is like...the last 10% TOTALLY slow >_>. This could have been taken care of in 3%."
show 1 hidden update…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

missEvi [can't commit to a book] yes!!! it is true I was so surprised that I gave it 5*

VampireNovelFan missevi wrote: "yes!!! it is true I was so surprised that I gave it 5*"

Cool!