Bill Sleeman's Reviews > American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us

American Grace by Robert D. Putnam

Apr 20, 12

bookshelves: church-faith
Read from March 03 to April 20, 2012

American Grace: How Religion Divides and Unites Us by Robert Putnam and David Campbell (2010). Putnam and Campbell’s book has been, since the initial publication, excerpted and quoted in a variety of venues and media. This is appropriate as this is an important book about America and about our future. As the authors explain it we are unique among nations, America is deeply religious, religiously diverse, and remarkably tolerant…” so why is it that our country, despite the outsized influence of the “religious right” in the media and the “quasi-religious” overtones of our political system, not come apart at the seams? This excellent book answers that question, and many more you probably did not even know you had about faith communities in America. The book is thoughtful, thought-provoking and, like the survey results that drive the work, wide-ranging. The level of analysis is probably not to every reader’s interest but if you care about the future of our country and the future of religion (all religions!) in America you really must take the time to read and think about this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Grace.