Kaan's Reviews > Skipping Towards Gomorrah: The Seven Deadly Sins and the Pursuit of Happiness in America

Skipping Towards Gomorrah by Dan Savage

M 50x66
Jul 30, 2008

I love Dan Savage, and you should love him, too. Like all people who cast positive on what is hegemonically considered negative, Dan Savage has enormous power to be transformative. Never before in my life, and maybe it's just me, have I considered "sinning" a political duty, a noble pursuit. I may have thought so, but only vaguely, and never in the clear terms, "humans sin, and sinning is good for you." The best aspect of this book is Dan, the person: he decided, in writing this book, not to simply write about America's passionate sinning from a research distance, but to actually engage in all seven of the deadly sins. And if he had an aversion to something like, say, gambling, he learns how to exercise his greed by gambling, and gamble well, both monetarily and spiritually for utter highs and the most suffocating lows. Truly, he nails a lot of the intense emotions that drive humans back and back again to the 'pursuit of happiness,' and for that, you should be happy you have someone on your side. So return the favor: buy his book and show the American and Afghan Talibans why we're not moving to Canada.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Skipping Towards Gomorrah.