Raj's Reviews > The Transformation Of Ireland 1900-2000

Mar 03, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: history, non-fiction
Read from March 03, 2012 to September 23, 2013 — I own a copy , read count: 1

I found this book very difficult to read. I don't know if it was the structure or the language or something else entirely, but it's taken me about 18 months to get through it. Also, and this isn't the fault of the book, I don't think it was what I was looking for. I don't know very much about the history of Ireland, and this book, while trying to be an overview of the turbulent 20th century, seems to assume a lot of knowledge that I didn't have.

Things that I would consider to be fairly major events: the Easter rising, the war of independence and civil war, the transition from Free State to Republic, the Troubles, didn't get really get much space. In a book as ambitious as this, trying to cover social and cultural history, as well as political, I guess it's inevitable that you can't go into huge levels of detail, but I was hoping for a decent overview of modern Irish history before delving into more depth on individual topics, and I don't really feel that I got that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Transformation Of Ireland 1900-2000.

09/24/2013 marked as: read