Kristilyn (Reading In Winter)'s Reviews > As the World Dies: Untold Tales Volume 1

As the World Dies by Rhiannon Frater

Mar 30, 12

bookshelves: on-my-ereader, read-in-2012, review-books-completed
Read on March 02, 2012

FTC Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I’m not sure what it is about zombies, but I had never been a fan. Maybe it’s because they were just so … dull. I mean, as far as the paranormal goes, all zombies can do is walk around, grunt, moan, and bite people, turning them into zombies. I mean, vampires are usually beautiful people who can make their prey do whatever they want to and they’ve lived so many years and have stories to tell. Werewolves are human most of the time and only turn into wolves on a full moon. But zombies? They’ve always been just ‘meh’ for me.

Now, enter Rhiannon Frater’s world of zombies. If ever I thought I wasn’t a fan of them, I certainly am now. In her short story collection, As the World Dies: Untold Stories, Frater tells tales so creatively that even the most adamant naysayer is bound to say they love zombies in the end.

Split into two short stories and a novella, each story is about a certain zombie adventure. I was fascinated with each and every story and especially liked how Frater built the suspense as each tale was told. Both gruesome and terrifying, Frater weaves a blend of normalcy and terror that is enough to keep any reader satisfied and turning the pages. She even throws in comedy now and again, with one specific line sending me into laughing fits.

(I’m not going to say the line, but it’s very close to the joke about how punctuation saves lives; that it’s the difference between “Let’s eat, grandpa!” and “Let’s eat grandpa!” Gets me every time.)

The first two stories, especially, had very dark and suspenseful endings, which was so welcoming to me. All of the stories had such a great build-up and even though there’s not a lot of backstory going on, I still came to care for the characters. Frater writes amazing characters that it’s hard not to see who we are to love and who we are to hate. The imagery in each story is also Frater’s strong suit: I had only really experienced zombies in the movies (and not too many — more comedy horrors than anything else) and Frater painted her stories so well that I could vividly see them happening as pictures as I read. It was great.

If you’re like me and you really haven’t read any zombie books, give Rhiannon Frater’s short stories a try. They’re short, with enough gore, humour, and suspense to keep any reader interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read As the World Dies.