P.J. Sullivan's Reviews > Facts and Fascism

Facts and Fascism by George Seldes

May 13, 13

bookshelves: history

George Seldes was an independent American journalist, a predecessor to I. F. Stone. He investigated American links to the Third Reich. According to this book, one of the Nazi links to American capitalism "was the I. G. Farbenindustrie, which Hitler and Goering controlled and which involved Standard Oil, Standard Drug, General Motors, General Electric, and other of our greater corporations."

"General Motors was completely involved in Nazi affairs," said Seldes. It made trucks and panzer divison equipment for them. American DuPonts aided Hitler to arm for war, with the help of Herbert Hoover, and gave U.S. military secrets to Hitler.

Standard Oil, DuPont, Sterling Drugs, Alcoa and others were linked to Nazis in cartels. They caused shortages of strategic goods in the United States—aluminum, tungsten, carboloy, synthetic rubber—by their dealings with Nazis. "Standard Oil advanced millions to I. G. Farben for the manufacture of high-octane gasoline from coal."

Henry Ford backed Hitler from the early 1920s. Ford was anti-Semitic and had a plant at Cologne. Dillon, Read & Co., American bankers, financed Thyssen, chief backer of Hitler. Curtis-Wright, Pratt & Whitney, and Douglas Aircraft secretly sold airplanes and parts to Hitler.

The Hearst Press published dozens of signed propaganda articles by Hitler, Goebbels, Goering, and other Nazis during the Thirties. Hearst paid Hitler three thousand marks in 1930, when the Nazis were nearly broke. The Readers Digest published pro-Fascist articles. The Saturday Evening Post published an article titled: "The Case Against the Jew." Colonel McCormick of the Chicago Tribune leaked American war plans before Pearl Harbor.

Fascinating insights into American complicity in the Third Reich.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Facts and Fascism.

Quotes P.J. Liked

“The truth is not in the commercial media because the truth is a dagger pointed at its heart, which is its pocketbook.”
George Seldes, Facts and Fascism

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rosalie (new)

Rosalie Riegle I posted this review to a couple of my lists. Thanks!