Megan Sanchez's Reviews > Uncommon Criminals

Uncommon Criminals by Ally Carter

Mar 11, 12

Read from March 03 to 09, 2012

I really wanted to fall in love with this book. I picked it up exclusively for the cover, literally grabbed this randomly as I was walking out of the library and had almost forgotten to get an audio book for my commute. Disc one had me not wanting the commute the end... then it all just sort of fell apart. Please note that I have not read the first book and can only comment on this book, rather than the series as a whole.

Katarina Bishop is a 15-year-old professional thief. Along with her cousin Gabrielle and love interest Hale, she is hired to steal the allegedly unstealable Cleopatra Emerald. Plotting and lots of traveling ensues.

When we first meet Kat, she is a confident, skilled woman. She is young and has a lot to learn, but she is also sure that she is good at what she does. We watch her literally walk into a KGB party and out with a priceless painting in the first three minutes of the book. The problem I had with this book is that this character doesn't last. When things get tough, Kat seems to fall apart. It is only through Hale and her cousin that she is able to put things back together and go on with the job. She obsesses and whines about being caught and about how "complicated" boys are. And by "complicated", I mean, she wants a yes or no about relationships. There is no middle ground for Katarina Bishop.

By the end of the book, I didn't care if Kat made it through to the end of the heist. I loved Gabrielle and Simon, the computer genius. I loved Maggie, the "villain". But Kat was just grating on my nerves. I finished it, but only because I hadn't had the time to pick up another audiobook.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncommon Criminals.

03/03/2012 "I know nothing about this book, I just know that I love the cover and when I'm in a library, a great cover is all I need. Apparently, this is the second book in a series (which I also didn't know), but it doesn't seem too important for you to have read the first book before starting the second. I have some questions, but the answers have come pretty steadily with backstory. Not the biggest fan of the reader."
03/03/2012 page 1
14.0% "I know nothing about this book, I just know that I love the cover and when I'm in a library, a great cover is all I need. Apparently, this is the second book in a series (which I also didn't know), but it doesn't seem too important for you to have read the first book before starting the second. I have some questions, but the answers have come pretty steadily with backstory. Not the biggest fan of the reader."
03/03/2012 page 1
14.0% "I basically have a giant girl crush on Kat. She is lovely."
03/04/2012 page 1
14.0% "Gabrielle is pretty crush worthy too."
03/07/2012 page 3
43.0% "My feeling about this book are a total mixed bag. Sometimes it's so good that I don't even want to get out of my car. Then it will just get... blah. And that's why it's taking so long to finish. I just take it out of the CD player and can't bring myself to get it going again. I love me some Hale/Kat and this book definitely plays to the shipper side of me."
03/08/2012 page 4
57.0% "Who is this Nick character? For the first time, I'm sort of frustrated that I didn't read (or listen to) the first book before I grab this one. Mostly, that fact hasn't mattered, but Kat's relationship with Nick can be a little confusing. Not to the point where I don't want to listen to it anymore, but enough that I'm mostly just annoyed that he is interrupting all the yummy Hale-ness of previous chapters."
03/09/2012 page 5
71.0% "I'm actually starting to get a little frustrated by this book. The Paraguay-Uruguay thing is getting really old (not that it was funny the first time) and Kat has gone from being a pretty badass woman with amazing skills and a flirty attitude to a whiny little girl who can't shut up about how GOOD the con artist was and how Hale is confusing. You've got about an hour of audio to fix this, Ally Carter."
03/09/2012 page 6
86.0% "My frustration continues. WTF Hale? WTF Nick? You were in the middle of something sort of important. -_- I'm now on the last disc, which is quite a bit shorter than the others, so I'm sure I'll finish on the commute home."