Ann Haefele's Reviews > Junonia

Junonia by Kevin Henkes

Mar 03, 12

Read in March, 2012

When I began to read this book I thought this was going to be a 5 star book, but the more I read the less I liked it. It is a beautifully written book that centers more on the emotions of 10 year old Alice than events. Alice is spending a vacation on Sanibel Island with her parents and is disappointed that some of their other family friends can not make it. She must adjust to new experiences and has much difficulty doing so as she really wants the vacation to feel right and it doesn't feel right without all of the same people there. My problem with it is that I think this will relate more to adults than to 10 year old children. As Alice is the only child except for a 6 year old girl, the story focuses on Alice's interactions with adults and adult problems ---divorce (not her parents), growing old, and new romance. The writing always explains events from Alice's point of view, and does not dwell on the adult issues, but these issues keep the reader feeling sad for Alice. The story has a melancholy feel to it. It is a beautifully written story about a girl learning that change is not always bad, but I never felt that Alice acted like a 10 year old. I kept wanting Alice to laugh and to enjoy the ocean, the sunshine, the shells, and the gulls!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Junonia.