Bill's Reviews > A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are

A Thousand Names for Joy by Byron Katie

Mar 06, 12

Read in March, 2012

I'm inspired to share how I found out about Byron Katie in the first place. Around the time I came to the firm decision to both retire and to pursue my MtF transition during retirement (September 2010), I realized that I'd begun returning to something I'd let fall by the wayside since my college days: the mystical writings of the so-called ancient Hindu and Buddhist writers, and to some extent Taoist. I not-did the theist approach for basically all the years between my marriage in 1978 up until September 2010, by which I mean I basically was an atheist (without theism), consciously so between roughly 2005 and 2010. After my retirement started in January 2011, I found myself studying the Tao Te Ching, specifically Stephen Mitchell's translation which is free on the Internet; I was inspired to do that by remembering a couple PBS broadcasts of talks given by Dr. Wayne Dyer, which I had seen in roughly 2008. I then found http://realization.org, and there I found an interview with Byron Katie. Later, I found that Stephen Mitchell and Katie had married, and also found Stephen and Katie's website. I recently decided to buy "A Thousand Names for Joy" as an ebook. It would be an understatement to say that this book resonated with me, and it's probably unnecessary to say that I knew it would, because that's all in the past. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who has had even the slightest inclination to be happier, and to all of my Goodreads friends. As usual, I've removed the Digital Rights Management encryption from my legally purchased copy (in EPUB format) and will be happy to "lend" the book to you if you'll first email Katie and Stephen and ask her for permission for me to lend my DRM-free copy to you. One final note: I found myself thinking, as I read the book, "I hope something can be done about Katie's eye disease and the fact (is it true?) that she'll eventually be blind from that disease, even though she's saying that it doesn't matter". The good news is, near the end of the book there's a happy ending to that story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Thousand Names for Joy.

Quotes Bill Liked

Byron Katie
“I love what I think, and I'm never tempted to believe it.”
Byron Katie, A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things Are

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judith (new)

Judith So good to read your comments and fine offer here.
I'm swamped with reading four books at the present
(two on religion) or I would ask you to send me a loaned copy. I'll wait until I have of couple of those in progress completed before I ask for the loan.

BTW, what is the eye disease? Is it what Dad has? I recently read that Dame Judy Dench (spelling?) has that also.

Bill The eye disease was/is Fuchs' dystrophy.