Kristin's Reviews > The Lifeboat

Mar 29, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: historical-fiction, read-in-2012, reviewed
Read from March 27 to 28, 2012

At first I was going to give this 3 stars, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized it was just okay. The concept for this book was just so great, and the execution was rather a let down. For one thing, I just didn't like any of the characters that much, including Grace. One should at least feel something for the narrator, right? I also thought that considering they spend 21 days in a lifeboat, there should be a bit more hardship going on. She mentions their hunger and gaunt faces almost as if she's remarking on the weather. The only time I was convinced that they were starving was when they tore apart birds and ate them raw, blood dripping down their chins. Otherwise, I didn't feel their hunger, their fear, their exhaustion, their hopelessness. And I certainly didn't see the motivation for the big bad thing that leads to their trial back in Boston. (Even though I understood what Rogan was going for, I just don't think she did a great job of explaining the circumstances and motivations enough for it to make sense.) I was especially disappointed because I'd heard such great things about this one. Oh well.
6 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lifeboat.