Trish's Reviews > The Complete Book Of Furniture Repair And Refinishing

The Complete Book Of Furniture Repair And Refinishing by Ralph Parsons Kinney

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: british, furniture, nonfiction
Read in March, 2012

This 40-year-old book is a real gem. The author is of the "less is often more" school, and immediately gives voice to "overrestoration has ruined many a fine piece of furniture." Scars and blemishes on old furniture, Kinney suggests, give evidence of long usage and many years, and old things often become more interesting as they age. I, however, am dealing with furniture that is less valuable than valued, so am interested in getting it back in circulation. However, I love the way he describes the obvious mistakes beginners make when filling holes, sanding, gluing, etc. He gives techniques and products that will work well, though this book appears to be British in origin, and is written way long ago. Some of the products he recommends are no longer available. You'd think there would be better, more effective products, but they are harder to locate now, as it seems fewer people are trying to keep old furniture revived. Local stores no longer sell refinishing fluid, for example, which I suspect was an old staple years ago. Anyway, I like just about everything about this book, but it is getting dated.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Book Of Furniture Repair And Refinishing.