Stella ☢FAYZ☢ Chen's Reviews > The One and Only Ivan

May 25, 12

Recommended to Stella by: Michael Grant
Recommended for: Everyone
Read in March, 2012

Edit: My friend Matt recently wrote a review for this book and it's shorter and much nicer than mine so you should read his instead of mine. Matt's review is here.

So my childhood came for a visit last weekend. By that, I mean this book came into my life last weekend. Big fonts and equally majestic illustrations reminded me of being a kid again. Yet, this book goes beyond a children's book. Everyone should read it because it conveys a story many other books lack.

I, of course, expected nothing less from K. A. Applegate. She is the co-author of Animorphs and married to author Michael Grant? I think that is a deadly combination.

The book is written in poetic "chapters" that reminded me of Ellen Hopkin's works. Here is a sample:

"Anger is precious. A silverback uses anger to maintain order and warns his troop of danger. When my father beats his chest, it was to say, Beware, listen, I am in charge. I am angry to protect you, because that is what I was born to do."

Here is my domain, there is no one to protect."

There were many passages like this throughout the book that made me felt an assortment of emotions. I felt Ivan's sadness and loneliness. His isolation from his kind and the naivety his human caretakers his given him.

This book is a MUST READ for the old, young, young-at-heart, happy, sad, emotionless, and everyone in between. I cannot begin to put into words how I feel about this book. The above was an attempt but I think I did a pretty crappy job. Just read it, guys.

P.S.: I love how there was a character named Stella in there. :') Bravo, Ms. Applegate.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The One and Only Ivan.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matt *slow clap* Excellent review. Much better than mine, loved the quote you used.

Stella  ☢FAYZ☢ Chen Matt wrote: "*slow clap* Excellent review. Much better than mine, loved the quote you used."

Thanks. :) But I still like your review more.