Julie Davis's Reviews > The Sabbath: Its Meaning for Modern Man

The Sabbath by Abraham Joshua Heschel

Mar 04, 12

Read from March 02 to 04, 2012

Continuing my education on the third commandment and why we need to take it seriously. Ok, I'm already converted to the concept and live it to the best of my ability ... but I want to elevate it in my mind and heart (if that makes sense). I think Heschel would understand what I want to do because this book is obviously written for that concept. Although I have to admit that the three rabbis parable is leaving me a bit stranded as it goes on for some time.

I meant to add that observing the sacred with a liturgical calendar is familiar to Catholic thinking since our liturgical calendar is key to our worship. That only makes sense since Christianity rose from Jewish founders who adapted their familiar worship to the revelations of Christ. However, Heschel's "cathedral of time" elevates this to something new and beautiful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sabbath.

03/03/2012 page 40

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Andrew Ordover A beautiful book.

Julie Davis Indeed. It is a love letter to the Sabbath. I loved his continual contrast of space versus time.

Andrew Ordover "Between God and Man" was also pretty great, if you feel like going on a Heschel bender