Aijah's Reviews > Treehugger

Treehugger by Kea Alwang

F_50x66
Apr 25, 12

bookshelves: favorites

Treehugger by Kea Alwang is basically about a specially chosen, planet traveling Earth girl named Chloe who is part of a group on a mission to protect the multiverse and spread the word that it exists. She however, struggles to fit in with people of her own species on Earth.
I absolutely loved everything about this book! The author's writing style was amazing. She seamlessly switched from present to past tense in a way that made it so easy to follow! I also love the characters and how the perspective changed. First we feel so bad for Chloe, beginning at the slumber party, to her depression. When the perspective changes, we can see how other people feel and how minuscule her problems really are. The author jumps write into the story, but gives the backround info in a way that does not sound listy and boring. Seeing the main character pick herself up both on Earth and Jacondor, and take control of her double life is amazing to read.
Kea Alwang also does a great job in making it interesting, but not confusing. Her creativity is astounding and yet I never struggled to understand what was happening. I also really liked how the antagonist of the story was introduced early, but the story didn't center around him. We get to see regular life on the planets and Chloe's struggles on Earth. And then, there is the foreshadows during the novel that make you wanting for more. I also enjoyed the fact that the protagonist had a history with the antagonist when she was very little. As the reader, the author finds a creative way to tell us what had happened the first time they met. The writing during this part was especially awesome too, how Chloe was transitioning from experiencing the regression as a seven year old, to reporting, to what her 14 year old self was feeling. (I won't elaborate because I don't want to give anything away;) )
Overall, I give this book 5 out of 5 stars. Everything was amazing, and the characters did not bother me at all. There were a lot of sub plots weaving within the greater plot which I thought was really cool. It has some humor, action and adventure. I strongly recommend everyone who likes this kind of stuff read this book, and even if you don't, you'll probably enjoy it anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Treehugger.