Rachel's Reviews > Nighttime Is My Time

Nighttime Is My Time by Mary Higgins Clark

Jul 30, 08

Read in May, 2008

I needed something to read while we waited for a plane, so I bought this at a bookstore in the airport. Overall, I found the story a bit shallow. The author's efforts to keep the murder's name hidden from the reader, in my opinion, were painfully forced. Her efforts to build suspense up until the final reveal in the end were overwhelmingly blatant, but effective. It was so effective that the reveal seemed like a let down. I think the book would have been much better if she had just revealed the assailant's identity slowly. Then she could have used the question of whether or not the assailant would kill off the major characters to drive the suspense. Her efforts to try to use both even though one was obviously awkward (the hiding of the assailant's identity) irritated me and made the book much less enjoyable.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nighttime Is My Time.

Kate I'm reading this book now, and I am enjoying it. It's a very easy read, but what I need right now. But omgosh you are so right about the killer's name being hidden so painfully forced! I mean, I'm waiting for the big surprise at the end to learn who it is, and it is a little exciting with the suspense, but hiding the name is so forced. "Jean, help me. And she whispered his name." So many times. It's getting annoying. Too much focus is put on the fact that we don't know the killer. I just roll my eyes when that's said.

Rachel Kate wrote: "I'm reading this book now, and I am enjoying it. It's a very easy read, but what I need right now. But omgosh you are so right about the killer's name being hidden so painfully forced! I mean, I..."

I am glad I am not the only one who noticed. :)