Misfit's Reviews > Beyond Betrayal

Beyond Betrayal by Christine Michels

Apr 22, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, kindle-freebie-slut, something-old-is-new-again, harriet-loved-it, book-cover-deja-vu
Recommended for: lovers of western romances
Read from April 19 to 21, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Montana Territory, 1887. Delilah Sterne has come to town to help her sister out of a financial jam before Eve and her husband lose the ranch. How's she going to make that money? Delilah's a card sharp (albeit an honest one), and the plan is to run a table at the local saloon and put her winnings into Eve's bank account. But there's one hitch - Sheriff Matt Chambers has already cleared the dishonest gamblers out of Red River and he's bound and determined to keep them out - not even one as pretty as Delilah.

That's the bare bones storyline and giving away much more than that would spoil the fun, and I do mean fun. You never know what you'll get with the Kindle freebies, but this one turned out to be a perfect blend of romance, mystery, cattle rustlers, some good ol' western shootouts, plus a few laughs and quirky characters (and pet!) thrown in for good measure. I thought the twist on the Samson and Delilah story was very well done, both Matt (Samson) and Delilah carry secrets and emotional baggage from their respective pasts. Those secrets are revealed slowly throughout the book, keeping the reader guessing and turning the pages.

Beyond Betrayal is another one of those older romances taking on new life in the digital age, just don't let that older cover scare you off (it's so awful I'm not even going to show you). A big thumbs up for a nice clean digital copy as well. If there were any typos or conversion errors I was too busy enjoying the story to notice them. 4/5 stars, perfect for a lighter, rainy day read.

Oh, I almost forgot my favorite quote and it's on the blurbs page:

:D :D :D

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Betrayal.

04/19/2012
1.0% "Look what I found among the blurbs:

“. . . a tremendous reading experience. . . BEYOND BETRAYAL is a crafty retelling of the biblical story of Samson and Delilah, but in a. . . frontier [] background. Ms. Michels is one of the top guns of American romance.” — Harriet Klausner, Reviewer

" 4 comments
04/21/2012
15.0% "Well. So far no typos and no conversion/formatting issues. And a promising story to boot."
04/21/2012
26.0% "Still holding up. I am very much liking the way the author is slowly revealing the pasts of both MCs, instead of instant info dump."
04/21/2012
67.0% ""Don't be impatient. I want to make absolutely certain you're ready for me."

Ready? She didn't know what exactly was involved in reaching the satisfaction she craved, but she couldn't get more ready, could she?

"
04/21/2012
90.0% ""But. . . but you're angry with me."

He nodded. "That's true, but in your case my anger doesn't appear to have any adverse effect on the part of my anatomy that's required."

:D

"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mermarie (new) - added it

Mermarie Hmm, guns...definitely going to store it into my to-read pile. I like guns. And ninja stars..wait, that's a badge...that works too!

:D

Misfit Keep an eye out, this might go free again.

message 3: by Mermarie (new) - added it

Mermarie I check the entire list atleast three times a day. You're a gem. :] I don't quite understand how the rating system works on some of them, but I still wade through it all!

Misfit You never do know what you're going to find. Here's the old cover on this one.

message 5: by Mermarie (new) - added it

Mermarie Haha, the tacky gems give this whole Mexican harem feel. lol

Misfit That would be a sparkly cover for Karla. I think she has a shelf for those :p

Karla (Mossy Love Grotto) I'd like to take the art department director for Leisure into a back alley and beat the snot out of him/her. Their covers like this are more often Teh Crap than not. Bleargh.

Misfit That is not an attractive cover, is it?

message 9: by Serene (new)

Serene There are so many worse ones out there, I'm satisfied if they look the proper age and gender!

Misfit Good point. I love the older covers, can't get enough of them.

message 11: by Serene (new)

Serene I prefer the painted covers too. I don't care for covers with real people on 'em. Any hack with photoshop can piece something together.

Misfit There's some seriously good artwork to be found on those older covers, all eye candy that I can't resist.

message 13: by Jill (new)

Jill This does look like something I'd like, Misfit.

Misfit Jill wrote: "This does look like something I'd like, Misfit."

Jill, good to see you back, and yes I think you would like this. It's going on my keeper shelf.

message 15: by Jill (new)

Jill Thanks Misfit. Not back fulltime yet, but soon.
Ooooh, keeper shelf sounds good!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* For once I like the new cover better! Nice review Misfit:)

Misfit Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "For once I like the new cover better! Nice review Misfit:)"

So do I (like the new cover better). This was a lot of fun.

message 18: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Chevrestt I just commented on your blog. I balked when I first saw it, the Biblical reference...but now I want to read it. Good review. Musta been free for a day or two only. I'm going to buy it. 2.99 is reasonable. And OMG, old cover...ewwww. This one certainly needed a makeover. LOL

Misfit Don't worry about the Samson/Delilah thing, it isn't done in a biblical way at all. Mine is lendable, just holler.

message 20: by Isis (new)

Isis LOL, oh my gosh that old cover!!!

message 21: by Kerrie (last edited Apr 24, 2012 05:25AM) (new)

Kerrie Wow, for once in my life I would prefer to see John DeSalvo on that cover. :D

Misfit As much as we all love the older covers, that one needs to stay buried.

message 23: by Hannah (last edited Apr 24, 2012 06:10AM) (new)

Hannah Hmmm, I see you and Harriet are on the same page with this one...has the world stopped spinning on it's axis, or is Harriet like a broken clock - bound to be right twice a day???

Misfit Harriet loves everything, good or bad.