Rossrn Nunamaker's Reviews > The Tao of Chess: 200 Principles to Transform Your Game and Your Life

The Tao of Chess by Peter Kurzdorfer

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: chess, non-fiction, philosophy
Read in March, 2012

The Tao of Chess is not a deep work in any way, instead it is a very quick read with general principles. The overall work based on its description is probably closer to a 2 than a 3, but I feel there is value in the work and rated it up.

The 200 principles are divided into two parts and a total of 42 chapters. Each principle has a written description, game explanation (typically some positioned pieces, which color moves and a description of the ensuing sequence), followed by a conclusion and life lesson.

Those learning the game, who know how the pieces move, but haven't studied the game, will find the principles to be helpful in how they approach the game (though they will have to choose which to follow as 200 is overwhelming).

If you've studied either the game or philosophy you probably won't get a lot out of this book, but I find there are always take-aways. For me it was in the organization, which was essentially an inventory of considerations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Chess.