Lorelei's Reviews > By a Thread

By a Thread by Jennifer Estep

Mar 03, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in March, 2012

Hmm. I'm a bit torn on this one. Not terrible, but not the best of this series either. A bit of momentum has been lost in the plot department now that the main bad guy has been dealt with. I felt that the plot seemed very familiar to previous stories in this series - revolving around violence against women and a bad guy who gets off on torture.

The thing that really annoys me about the characterisations in this one is the overly guilt-ridden and apologetic nature of the protagonist. For an assasin she really lets people walk all over her and constantly lets them blame her for verything bad that happens. It just doesn't ring true. Maybe it's a contrivance of the author to create artificial tension.

The side plot with the ex was also a bit heavy handed and too much of a coincidence for comfort. She really could have done without it.

And I'm sorry but the little flash back to being deserted by her stepfather to teach her self-reliance as a child was beyond messed-up. It was a strange insertion and very poorly explored and realised in the text. I really hope it wasn't backstory filler.

Some of the early books in this series were very strong- this one seemed very much like the author trying to find a way to reinvent the series. Not quite there yet. I may not read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read By a Thread.