Shana's Reviews > She Wore Only White

She Wore Only White by Dörthe Binkert

Mar 11, 12

Read from March 03 to 11, 2012

This is kind of an unusual book from the inspiration even to the way the story comes together. This book was inspired by an old newspaper article about a woman stowaway in a white evening gown.

The book starts out promising with a group of first class passengers boarding a boat headed to NY with a mysterious and elegant stowaway without a male escort on board. Amongst the passengers relationships bloom, promises are broken and the characters secrets are VERY slowly revealed.

Valentina the main character and the "woman who only wears white" is escaping an unhappy love life and a mysterious past. We also have Henri who is an outlandish and philandering sort of man. Then there's Billie who is a mistress, William who is also a philanderer and who is envious of the possessions of others, there's Lily who is one of the only genuine characters on board and finally there's the love interest of Valentina, Thomas. Then there are many other couples aboard whom we are very briefly introduced to.

What could've been a very interesting and original story was bogged down by not enough character development in the beginning of the book. Almost immediately after you are introduced to the characters aboard the flashbacks and even flash-forwards start. The flashbacks and flash-forwards are told from alternating character point-of-views and interviews with the ships crew, one after the other. Personally, I found it confusing since it started so early in the book (in the 1st or 2nd chapter) and continued on. I thought this book would've been better if the characters were more developed before the flashbacks began. Flashbacks and flash-forwards are a difficult thing to make fluid in this type of storyline and in my opinion there were way too many of them.

Overall, this is a decent book and if you are looking for a unique type of historial romance or character study then you will probably enjoy it. If you are a reader who doesn't enjoy constant flashbacks and flash-forwards in the plotline then you probably will not enjoy this book.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read She Wore Only White.

03/04/2012 page 25
03/05/2012 page 58
20.42% "kind of hard to follow as the premise is different than usual historial romances, though the plot is intriguing"
03/07/2012 page 68
23.94% "the characters in this book are hard to keep track of, they go to one then the other, then even a third in the same chapter.. don't know if I can finish this one, but, will try"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Dyana It wasn't really the flashbacks that gave me the problem, it was the story itself. There didn't really seem to be a story.

Shana I agree with you as well, no character development!

Dyana It was almost like the author was trying really, really hard to put a story together from one little newspaper article. There probably wasn't much to go on!