Terri Pray's Reviews > Dark Magic

Dark Magic by Rebecca York

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: audio-books, erotic-romance, fantasy-science-fiction-romances
Read from March 03 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Princess Devon has been raised in a time and place where women are good for only marriage, the 'womanly arts', and producing children. Her home is under siege by barbarians, and her father's answer to the problem is to arrange a marriage between Devon and the leader of the barbarians. But a dark clad stranger entering her rooms, combined with the legend of a dragon who - with the offering of a virgin sacrifice - will help her people, pushes Devon to escape the castle and a life that has never been her choice.

If it means saving her people, then Devon is willing to give up her own life. Not for her father, but for the people he rules, and for her brother who will one day take the throne.

This one falls closer to a 2.5 than a 3. I generally enjoy Rebecca York books, but this one didn't grab me the way her work often does. The plot felt a little stilted and forced. It didn't help that the narrator truly didn't fit the story. So, the combination almost pushed me to the point of switching off half way through. Her tone was too formal for the story and lacked passion during the more sensual scenes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Magic.

03/03/2012