Anna's Reviews > Beguiling the Beauty

Beguiling the Beauty by Sherry Thomas

Mar 24, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read from March 22 to 24, 2012

I tend to forget how much I enjoy historical romances between reading them. I'm not a history buff, so they're not always my first choice. Some have a tendency to get mired in proving they know their history. This book was not that way. It seemed historically accurate, although I'm certainly no judge, but it didn't get caught up in reciting facts from the time period just for the sake of it. I do love about this genre that there's some automatic escapism. Society is so different and rules of behavior so strict, and I enjoy the different stories that can take place in that old world. The Duke of Lexington fell in lust with Venetia Townsend when she was married to her first husband. He's spent years trying to avoid her because even as a scientific man he can't control his reaction to her. When he lectures at Harvard University, he brings her circumstances up as an example of what beauty does to people, without naming her specifically, but it brings up all her rage at the rumors about her two marriages throughout society, and she decides to get even. What follows would be totally impossible in modern life, and that's part of what makes it so fun. There's all sorts of intrigue and hidden identity and gossip-mongering that just wouldn't work out today. It was fun and suspenseful, and I enjoyed every minute.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beguiling the Beauty.