Simmoril's Reviews > Economics: A Very Short Introduction

Economics by Partha Dasgupta

M_50x66
Jul 30, 08

Read in July, 2008

I probably would not have been as disappointed with this book as I was had the title not included such misleading words as "Introduction" and "Economics".

As an 'introduction', this book is an extremely heavy read for anyone not already intimately familiar with economics (and even then, it would probably still be a tough book to get through). The author covers such a wide array of topics so fast, that it's difficult to see how they might possibly tie together. Even the examples the author gives require a double-take (at least in my case they did).

As for calling this an 'economics' book, I really think that is open to interpretation. It was abundantly clear to me that the author had an agenda when writing this book and was not shy about it. I don't necessarily agree or disagree with her viewpoints, but books that are supposed to be references to technical subjects like economics shouldn't have the facts clouded with opinion and rhetoric.

If you are an economist by nature or trade, you will probably find this book more enjoyable than I did. However, for those non-economists like myself out there, I honestly suggest you look elsewhere for an introductory economics book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Economics.