Jessa's Reviews > Insurgent

5141983
Mar 02, 2012

bookshelves: children-ya, sci-fi
Read in May, 2012

I was so excited to get this book yesterday that I just sat and read it in one day. The quick story lines helped.

When we last left the former Chicago there Dauntless faction had been mind-controlled by erudite and Tris and Four had been able to stop it, with some help, and mayhem had been unleashed. The book picks up exactly where it left off with the Abnegation and Tris, Four, Peter, Marcus, and Caleb regrouping at Amity with the Abnegation. What happens from here on out is a series of moving from one faction to another trying to stay safe and trying to regroup. During this time we learn from Marcus that Jeannine is hold onto some dangerous information that incited her killing spree and Abnegation leaders were privy to it as governmental leaders. We meet the Amity spokesperson Johanna Reyes who is not as nice as Amity, but she has a conscious and has to decide which team she is on. The factionless, led by Tobias' mother reappear, whom everyone thought dead, and want to form an alliance with the Dauntless to bring down Erudite, only she seems shady too.

If it seems crazy and hectic, that's because it is. No one seems trustworthy, Tobias and Tris seem to go back and forth, and previously shady characters turn up to save the day and some surprising people turn traitor. Everyone is constantly on the move and it does make for a hectic read; however, at the end of the day, Roth leaves us in another cliff hanger as we find out the piece of information everyone is willing to kill over and what danger is behind the cliffs and how the factions came to be formed.

I wish I could give a better synopsis but it is all over the place and with such craziness, plot holes do appear making things more confusing. People seem to be joining and dropping out of alliances all very quickly. At the end of the day, it is still interesting, and that's what matters. It wasn't the best novel, too much craziness and not enough continuity, but it does its job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Insurgent.