Jennifer's Reviews > Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

Jun 25, 2008

bookshelves: strongfemalecharacters, historicalfiction, cotcbookclub, abrahamlincoln2008
Read in June, 2008

A fascinating look at China in the 19th century that made me heartily glad that I was not born then or there. The descriptions of footbinding are particularly hair raising, but the situation for women in general was circumscribed and often brutal. "When a girl, obey your father; when a wife, obey your husband; when a widow, obey your son." Definitely not a philosophy that sits well these days. I certainly prefer Lily's mother-in-law's response: "Obey, obey, obey, then do what you want." See provides a glimpse of just how strong women had to be to survive in this environment and how the pressures and circumstances often led to tragedy. She also shows how the powerful relationships between women could both strengthen and destroy. Book Club selection for June 2008. Previously read 7/1/07.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.

message 1: by Jeannie (new)

Jeannie found you! haven't read this book, however, your comment "obey, obey, obey..." sounds just like my mother-in-law's comment to me the day of my mariage 39 years ago , which, back then, I totally misunderstood. Today, and still living with her mediterranean macho son, that advice rings daily in my ears : "just say 'yes' , then do what you want". See? IT WORKS!