Mark's Reviews > In the Balance

In the Balance by Harry Turtledove

Mar 04, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction
Read from March 02 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

If the sentence "Aliens invade during World War II" doesn't make you want to read a book, then there is nothing more I can add.

I would have filed this under three stars, guilty pleasure sort of thing, except for one thing that's not the particular book's fault: the eBook copy I purchased through B&N is one of the worst I have ever seen for typographical mistakes. These are all small things, but numerous, approaching and perhaps passing one per page.

The mistakes include things like extraneous punctuation "." "," or quotes, or missing punctuation, like no "." at the end of what's clearly a sentence because the next word is capitalized. Other times, a word is rendered with the wrong spelling; for instance, "Germany" became "Gennany" (just once or twice), and in the same way "door" might appear once as "cloor". These nuisance mistakes abound. I can only conclude that no human being ever laid eyes on the manuscript in the process from transferring it into eBook form, because if this many mistakes were present in a paper book as it went to press, anyone involved would be fired.

I can appreciate, from a cost perspective, that there's not likely to be a strong return on porting a random obscure niche genre book from 1994 into eBook form, but if that's the case I would just have to say to the publisher: don't do it! Let it lie in the dustbin, or if it's being treated cheaply then sell it cheaply. If this book cost a dollar, I wouldn't complain about nuisance typographical mistakes no matter the quantity. At $8, I paid full paperback price for second-class work.

Oh well. A fun enough read, but I don't like it enough to spend money on the rest of the series when I assume they will have the same quality of electronic transfer. I'll have to be more careful and view the free samples first in the future.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In the Balance.

03/02/2012 page 1
0.0% "I can't think of anything better to read right now, so aliens + WW2 seems like it will hit the spot."