Jac's Reviews > Laughing Without an Accent: Adventures of an Iranian American, at Home and Abroad

Laughing Without an Accent by Firoozeh Dumas

Feb 10, 2009

liked it
Read in February, 2009

The only thing I found disheartening about this book is that the author tended to state 'Americans' and 'America' as a whole, such as "America is the only country that...". I would have preferred it if the author had rather stated "in my opinion most Americans" or "in my experience, America is a country that...". I thought it was a little hypocritical to write a book that condemns stereotyping and lumping of all Iranians together by doing the same to Americans.
Overall, I really liked this book. She has a conversational way of writing; I felt like I was reading a letter from a friend. It also gave me a new insight on the culture of some Iranian families. The book was also funny in sections; there were chapters I "just had" to read out loud to my friends because they were so charming and funny, and I struggled to not laugh throughout my oration. I loved how through the stories, I could see a version of my family. Even though we have completely different backgrounds, it was nice to see that family dynamics transcend cultural differences. I will never think of sausage or carry-on bags the same way again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Laughing Without an Accent.