Rachael Pruitt's Reviews > The Veil of Gold

The Veil of Gold by Kim Wilkins

Aug 16, 13

Read from March 02, 2012 to August 03, 2013

I am a fan of Kim Wilkins fantasy work--she is not afraid to explore the dark side of folklore, her research is excellent, and she explores the folklore of cultures usually overlooked by western fantasy novelists such as Scandanivia & Russia. However, I almost always have trouble warming to her human characters and "Veil of Gold" (set in Russia) is no exception.
Other reviewers have already described Wilkin's premise of a mythic Russian world existing parallel to our own that three modern characters get stuck in. This was a great set up--I only wished the author's human characters were more sympathetic. Rosa did appeal to me initially, but her motives simply didn't ring true enough for me to engage with her as much as I wanted to.
As has also been mentioned, I too found this novel hard to get into at first, then the pages flew, most especially when I was encountering Wilkin's wonderfully etched fantasy-realm. I was also entranced with the author's weaving of Russian history into this folkloric world. (Although I still cringe at her rendering of Anastasia!)

Unsympathetic human characters remain the chief criticism I have of what would otherwise be an exceptional novel. Still, I gave "Veil of Gold" four stars for uniqueness and that lovely sense of wonder that the best fantasy novels offer us--Wilkins delivers this in spades (even if I could quibble with her view of Baba Yaga--and the sad omission of wolves & firebirds!). Definitely worth reading--especially if you're interested in Russian folklore & history.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Veil of Gold.

08/16/2013 marked as: read