Nancy O'Toole's Reviews > Fables, Vol. 3: Storybook Love

Fables, Vol. 3 by Bill Willingham

Mar 20, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, graphic-novels, library
Read on March 15, 2012

Fairy tales are famous for their happy, romantic endings. Snow White is awakened by Prince Charming’s kiss. The Beast regains his human form thanks to the power of Beauty’s love. They all live happily ever after. Unfortunately, reality is less idyllic. The Graphic novel Storybook Love collects several stories about our favorite fairy tale characters. We see Jack’s attempts to seduce a beautiful southern belle during the Civil War, Briar Rose living with the reality that every time she pricks her finger she falls into an enchanted sleep all over again, Snow White and Bigby’s developing relationship, and finally a tale of the Lilliputians attempts to find true love.

Storybook Love, the third graphic novel in the Fables Series, is a little different from Legends in Exile and Animal Farm. While these collections contained one five issue story arc, Storybook Love holds several stories. The reader gets more content, although not every story is of the same quality as the first two arcs. The collection begins with a one shot about Jack.. Although this comic had its clever moments, I have to admit that it didn’t appeal all that much to me. This is probably s due to the fact that I’m not that big of a fan of Jack (which is strange given, how I normally love Trickster characters). After that are two issues where Bigby must figure out what to do when a Mundy discovers that the Fables are immortal. Although I didn’t like this tale as much as the first two arcs, it was ultimately enjoyable, and gave the reader a really good idea of the type of person Bluebeard is. This is a good choice, given the large role he plays in the next arc. The book ends on a single issue about the Lilliputians, which is nice, even if the change of artwork is a bit shocking at first.

But the crux of the book is the Storybook Love arc, which is my favorite storyline in the series so far. While previous arcs have been about establishing characters, and building their relationships, this arc pushes everything forward with a giant lurch. Heroes and villains clash, characters die violent deaths, and romance begins to rear its head. Storybook Loves ends on a twist that caught me completely off guard, and has made me excited about future arcs.

Because the graphic novel Storybook Love collects several stories instead of just one arc, there is a larger variety of material to enjoy. Some of the comics don’t shine quite as brightly at the others, but the book’s central arc, Storybook Love, really makes the collection worth reading. I already have the fourth graphic novel in this series, March of the Wooden Soldiers, taken out from my library so I can see what happens next.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fables, Vol. 3.

03/15/2012 page 192
100.0% "Just finished this one (which had a lot more two it than the first two). Review coming sometime next week."