Jeff's Reviews > The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Feb 08, 15

bookshelves: would-not-recommend, read-2012
Read from March 02 to 05, 2012

I'd actually give this book three and a half stars if half points were possible. The story definitely drew me in and kept me intrigued, however, Dashner's writing style left something to be desired.

I had trouble picturing Thomas as the only description given is "about 16, brown hair blue eyes". In fact no character was described in in any great detail. This left me with a setting and background with only impressions of people to fill it.
I also became a bit annoyed with repetition. Four or five times the author stated in different words; "even though he had no memory beyond the last few days, Thomas was almost positive he had never been so scared/terrified/upset/anxious etc. in his life".
Lastly, the Grievers were supposed to be terrifying creations but the lack of detail failed to communicate this to me. I end up with a picture of a ball of flesh with robotic arms all over that fails to to inspire any suspense.

All that said, I will definitely continue on with this series as the story is intriguing enough that I can overlook the author's shortcomings and hope he gets better as the series progresses.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Maze Runner.