Fred Fenimore's Reviews > Pandora's Star

Mar 02, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: zz_abandoned
Read from April 30 to June 10, 2012

Mote in Gods Eye but in 5x the number of pages. Abandoned 1/2 way through.

Restarted and this time I made it all the way. You know, this is a really peculiar book. I think it might be better after you've read it once-- sort of like retaking a math course. Once you know the characters, you can immerse yourself in the world. The trick is to get past the first 2/3 of the book, where exactly three things happen that move the plot forward... I counted. Once things start happening, though, they keep happening until then end where it just stops.

And that's when I finally tripped to the fact that this is not an 800 page retelling of MIGE; its a 1600 page retelling of the original, plus the logical sequel (not the one actually written which wasn't that good IMO).

Ok. So to sum up: get past the first 600 pages where *nothing* happens except background after background on about a billion characters, and realize that you're going to have to read a whole 'nother book after this one and if you can do that, settle back into the really, really populated stage- I mean crowds of actors, operatic crowds of actors - and you might enjoy it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pandora's Star.

05/03/2012 page 300
26.0% "Actually, its about as interesting as TMIGE even if it is 3x the size."